Spondias in California?

stanofhNovember 26, 2010

A member of the hardy palm board posted of her tree in south Florida loaded with mango looking fruit. Reading a bit on the internet(watching football and eating T-day leftovers,I do it all!)about the plant-seems like it should do well ,even in a pot.

California growers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mango_kush

Spondias is an entire genus of fruiting trees, most popular is "golden apple" or its relative dwarf amarella "June Plum" Mombim or "hog plum" are also in this genus.
june plum is called pomcetheye in the West Indies. they are so dwarf and prolific they sometimes can fruit themselves to death. makes a neat specimen, perfect for container, i would rate the fruit as fair out of hand but i bet is excellent when prepared correctly

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 6:20PM
red_sea_me

I have a spondias dulcis (dwarf ambarella) that just finished flowering and set multiple fruits. I've had it about 3.5yrs, it is in a 7 gal pot and is about 5' including the pot. It gets brought into the greenhouse for winter. I do enjoy the fruit, I've not tried them green with chile/lime/fish sauce but I've had varying stages of orange fruits. On the underipe side they taste sort of like crunchy pineapple. When they are fall off the tree ripe they are much smoother textured and sort of sour mango like?

If you have room they are nice fruits to grow because of their fruiting times and the flavor is good in my opinion.

-Ethan

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 8:05PM
newgen(9 Central California)

I've seen it at a few residences in Orange County, I really like the fruit, either green or ripe orange, but kinda prefer it green and crunchy. I eat it with a paste made os salt & red pepper. I'm salivating just thinking about it. It's also pretty good pickled.

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 2:07AM
stanofh

Hmm.Lets see some pics! Ethan,sounds worthwhile-where do I get one?
Your greenhouse is unheated?

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 2:18PM
red_sea_me

Sorry Stan,
no pics this time of year, it is in the GH with the rest of the plants and looks like a green mass of leaves amongst more green leaves. I do heat my GH now, normally just a few strings of Christmas lights but this year I put my cacao plants out there so I'm up to 4 strings of lights, to be safe. I may have ordered mine from Logee's a few years back, not sure? They are not real hard to find with some looking, worst case maybe I can send you seeds or cuttings come spring?

-E

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
Sugar Apple Leaf Problem
Hello all; can you tell what is the issue with my Sugar...
BahamaDan ZTropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™