Granjenos

marcie_new(z8)January 19, 2010

Hi guys I am looking for some granjenos I read that they grow wild? in the Laredo Texas area I would like to get some saplings or seeds willing to pay postage or exchange seeds, I have some hycianty bean seeds,castor beans seeds, mexican pride of barbedos seeds,angel trumpet dble yellow seeds single white datura seeds. anyone? Please, thanks Marcie_new

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_tx8(8)

Marcie, I've got a few seeds of that. If you want them, click on my user name to go to my page and email me.

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 7:22PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

What is it???

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 7:24PM
linda_tx8(8)

Celtis pallida, also called Spiny Hackberry...the one with the little orange berries. Oops, I should have said click on My Page by my user name.

Bookmark   January 19, 2010 at 9:40PM
marcie_new(z8)

Its an edible type of berry its orange in color. sort of like a tree-bush.

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 12:21AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Okay -- thanks y'all! When I googled 'granjenos' what came up was mostly in Spanish lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Celtis pallida, or Granjenos

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 12:27AM
marcie_new(z8)

Good job Roselee!! I apreciate this link. Yes it has mostly spanish names BUT the description is in english.Since you are in the sw.area have you seen this plant? any baby seedlings? I think I have some seeds coming.But the saplings will not hurt. Thanks Marcie

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 11:53PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I live in Rockport, and over on Airport Road, I've seen two trees that bare little orange fruit every year around Christmas. I stopped one day and couldn't get to the fruit because the tree is about 12' tall, but I pulled a leaf thinking that it would have a citrus smell. No way. So I've been wondering what kind of tree it is, and I think I know now. I'll run by there in the next day or two to check it out. If there are any babies or fruit laying around, I'll get them and send them off to you.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 9:42AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Itcollins1949, if you have/find any extra, I sure would be interested in it also. Maybe we can work a deal. I appologize for stepping on your thread, Marcie.- Mara

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 7:32PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I'll go down there tomorrow and see if it is indeed this plant. I sure have never seen anything like it before.

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 8:12PM
marcie_new(z8)

Hi 1tcollins 1949 Thanks , hope you find some! I will pay you postage or exchange something, Thanks a bunch!! Wantonamara no apologie nesssesary!! This is such a great site to be a member, its all about sharing and growing and friendship. Hope we both get lucky!!! I already got 3 seeds I just hope they sprout for me.1tcollins Please be careful and don't get hurt take someone with you even if is just for company. Marcie

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 10:23PM
linda_tx8(8)

I got my plant from the San Antonio area years ago...a plant rescue. People would be surprised what grows native in S.A. in the few places left that are wild. The area I got mine from was developed. But I know they grow in that Medina River park on the southside. One year I went to a plant outing there and they were all over there. They tend to be near creeks and rivers.

Bookmark   February 3, 2010 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™