Brazilian grape tree-Myciaria cauliflora

marcie_new(z8)November 12, 2010

Hi everyone I need some help. I would like to find someone that has this tree and is willing to swap seeds for the above mentioned, he also goes by the name of Jabuticaba. Anyone out there? I can pay postage or swap seeds-plants.Please let me know Thanks Marcie_new

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mango_kush

Jaboticaba is Myciaria cauliflora,

i wouldnt call it "Brazillian grape" as that may be confused with "amazon tree grape" Pourouma cecropiaefolia or "Blue grape" Myrciaria vexator

i have a two year old specimen which hasnt fruited yet, there are a few members here with them, some that fruited

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 3:58PM
jeffhagen(10B)

I'll have seeds come April next year. But, growing a jaboticaba from seed is a long haul. If you're lucky, you'll get fruit in 6 years; but, it could take even longer. It's worthwhile to consider purchasing a 3 to 7 gallon tree to shorten the wait.

Jeff

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 9:45PM
jacob13

Jeff,

Good to hear from you. Just wanted to let you know that the ilama seeds are doing great. I have about a half dozen that have germinated and are about 5" to 6" inches and growing.

Thanks again for pointing out that I had the wrong plant and for sending me the seeds.

- Jacob

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 1:02AM
jeffhagen(10B)

Jacob, I'm so glad to hear it! That's fantastic! Keep them protected if it gets too cold. I lost a couple of small ones last year when we had those freezing temps here in south fl.

Jeff

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 12:57PM
tj11240

I would highly recommend growing a Jaboticaba. The plant is very handsome, and takes to container growing well. New foliage is a reddish color, and the bark peels off like a birch. The fruit grows directly on the trunk, which is something I am dying to see. The flowers are supposed to be aromatic, as well as looking pretty cool.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 2:45PM
tj11240

I would highly recommend growing a Jaboticaba. The plant is very handsome, and takes to container growing well. New foliage is a reddish color, and the bark peels off like a birch. The fruit grows directly on the trunk, which is something I am dying to see. The flowers are supposed to be aromatic, as well as looking pretty cool.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 5:00PM
marcie_new(z8)

Thanks Guys, My quest continues! I am actively looking for this wonderful tree,Hopefully I will get lucky by Spring, if nothing else I will be begin Jeff, come april. I think I have hopes of finding this tree in Pearland Texas, maybe one of Houston Lowes.Wish me Luck---ME wants this real BAD!!! M.N.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 12:19AM
tj11240

I bought mine off a nursery on Amazon. Arrived in perfect shape, very quickly.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 2:26PM
mango_kush

who knew amazon.com would go on to sell trees from the amazon

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 3:21PM
marcie_new(z8)

Hi everyone I want to thank you all for your input, I have read few things about this tree, but cannot decide if its the right itme to purchase this tree, or should I wait for Februay- spring time to buy and plant. However I think I am a little closer to find one in Houston or near by. Marcie

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 11:17AM
tj11240

The best time to buy a tree is 4 years ago.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Need help with mango tree
I have a tree and was wondering if in the future it...
lindalepark2006713
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
Help ID this Papaya plant
Hi A friend gave me a seedling grown from a seed they...
eagleeyesg
Need help/advice on dwarf tropical trees
Hello everyone! So I live in WI and am trying to pull...
sjpickart
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™