transplanting cannas

ladysmith94(TX)January 11, 2011

I am new to Texas gardening - west Texas to be more precise. I need to know when is the best time to move a bed of cannas. They are where I want to plant something else and I have another good spot for them, plus they are pretty thick.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
merrybookwyrm

The lady I got my cannas from thinned and dug hers in the fall, maybe September? October? That way the cannas had fall and winter to settle into the beds at my house.

Maybe if you cut a large rootball for the cannas with a shovel right now, then left them in the orginal place for a few weeks so they could grow some new roots inside the cut area, then transplanted the cannas to their new bed?

I'm no expert though. Hope someone more knowledgeable answers.

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 12:14PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Ladysmith, welcome to the Texas forum!

It's hard to hurt cannas. They can ge dug up now and separated before planting in another spot. You can just break the the corms apart with no harm done.

I've moved the corms at all times of the year without a problem. If moved in high summer the foliage springs right back. If moved in winter they will lie dormant until warm weather. The stores sell canna corms either laying loose in big boxes or in plastic bags.

Another tip: when a stalk is done blooming just cut it back to the bottom and the corm will put up another blooming stalk. I love cannas!

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 1:15PM
ladysmith94(TX)

Thank you both for your responses. I love cannas too, but have not grown them before in Texas. They were already here when we moved to this house last summer. I was busy this fall with some other things - planting new flower beds, and the cannas got neglected. I want to plant lilies where the cannas are now and have other places crying for sturdy, hardy plants like the cannas are. Just as soon as the weather warms back up enough for me to be out there working, I will get the new bed ready and move them!

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Winterizing Jacaranda Trees
Some planting zone maps have Austin in zone 8 and some...
jtrevino
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
Texas Superstars - Hibiscus
All large plant nurseries, Lowes, HomeDepot, etc dont...
z36r
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Sponsored Products
Brook and Hunter Hand Tool Trowel with Chain - 14010-T
$49.95 | Hayneedle
Blossom Garden Tote
$35.99 | zulily
Prairie Leisure Aspen Wood Garden Buddy Potting Bench - 97-SAGE
$219.30 | Hayneedle
Trans Globe 4189 Pole Lantern - 22W in. - 4189 WH
$321.10 | Hayneedle
Stainless Steel Transplanting Trowel
$9.99 | zulily