Safflower?

maden_theshade(8 - Austin)January 13, 2012

Anyone tried growing safflowers? Most of the info online is geared towards agricultural production. They look pretty!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Imagine my surprise when I opened my Feb/Mar issue of Birds and Blooms and found an article on growing safflower. I had never even thought of it before, but it sounds like an interesting thing to do. This article said they don't grow as quickly as sunflowers.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 10:05AM
nydepot(6)

I'm curious if you can start these indoors ahead of planting time outside? The B&B article mentioned a taproot and I thought the root might preclude planting early.

Any ideas?

Bookmark   January 17, 2012 at 3:08PM
maden_theshade(8 - Austin)

That same article is what spurred my interest! Sounds like they come up easily if they are sprouting under bird feeders. I'm wondering how much shade they can take, and if they are fairly self-sufficient. Maybe that long tap root helps there. I have to do prickly plants out of the way, which means they don't get watered regularly.

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 1:36AM
SammyG(7)

I saw the article as well! Can I just buy safflower seed like I would get to use for feeding birds and plant that?

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 12:48PM
RoundRockMom

Based on the amount of sprouts we find under our two bird feeders (we feed exclusively safflower seeds, usually purchased at Lowe's, our cardinal family loves it and it doesn't attract the nuisance pests), I would imagine that this can be grown pretty easily. :)

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 7:52PM
maden_theshade(8 - Austin)

I bought a small bag of safflower seeds for the birdfeeder at Walmart. I mix it with sunflower seeds and get sprouts under the feeder. The seedlings are supposed to look similar, so I don't know what I have yet. I've let a few stay where they are...maybe I'll find out soon!

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
Is planting Leyland cypress a mistake?
I planted 2 Leyland cypress plants in my back yard...
ritholtz47
Coral honeysuckle
Will this be easier to find in the next month or so,...
franksmom_2010
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
Need help saving my magnolia
Hi Folks, Could anyone suggest me the reason for wilting...
aukumar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™