DFW loses another organic nursery

Lin barkingdogwoodsJanuary 19, 2011

In the spring rush of pre-inventory sale notices, I received one from Green Mama's, and thought I'd go see what fun things they have. When I got there, the place looked empty. I spoke with one of the employees, and indeed Green Mama's is closing.

As I was checking out, I spoke with the owner at length, sharing my distress at the loss of the only all-organic nursery in north Tarrant County. She's looking for a buyer, but anticipating that the bank will take the business. I only hope that she saves all the beautiful plantings around the building - they'd be a shame to lose.

A sad day indeed.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Mama's

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

ahhh, that is sad

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 10:01AM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I got the same notice and had a sinking feeling when I read it. When I was there a couple months ago one of the employees told me how dead it has been there and that no one was coming in and things were looking bad for them. I am distressed because much of my garden came from there, especially the natives, and they always had such nice stock. And the ambiance was like walking thru a garden and picking out plants. Loved the place - I am very sad to see them go.

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 11:34AM
Lin barkingdogwoods

When I was talking with the owner, I told her she should have a "dig-a-plant" day for customers to buy/dig what's in the ground. Why leave it for the bank?

When Tinker's Grove (was Redenta's in Colleyville) closed, the landlord wouldn't let them dig up anything that had been planted. Of course he didn't keep anything watered, so it immediately started looking bad. Fast forward to last year when they were leasing out the building and bulldosed all the plants except those along the sidewalk. What a waste!

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 9:17PM
ladybugfruit

GASP...barkingdogwoods....I still mourn the loss of Redenta's in Colleyville. That was my favorite place to go. It wasn't ever the same after the sold it and I stopped going. That makes me so very sad that it's been destroyed...Sigh. I hope they at least kept the great tree...

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 9:32AM
msrose

OMG, I'm so bummed. I love Green Mama's. I also really miss Redenta's but at least having Green Mamas's eased the pain, but now....

Laurie

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 4:39PM
imabirdnut

This is terrible!!!! I have bought many plants from Green Mama's!!! The owner lives out west of FW like I do! She is a sweetheart!!! SOOOO SAD!!!
Do y'all know there is a Redenta's in Arlington? I found it this past summer. It is off Green Oaks & Arkansas. I also visit a local nursery near me in Weatherford that carries lots of natives called Stuart's Nursery. They are very helpful & knowledgable for what survives in our Texas heat!

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 6:50PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

EEK! That is so sad. I wish this wouldn't happen.

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 6:36PM
Lin barkingdogwoods

@imabirdnut - I do visit the Redenta's in Arlington, but that's so far from north Tarrant county. :( While I'm down there I usually stop by Weston Gardens in Bloom, to see what's performing in the demo garden.

@pjtexgirl - too bad we can't all get together and buy the store...

Lin

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 9:03AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

Lin, don't tempt me!!!

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Some Serious Spines ...
These look like some serious spines! But I love their...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™