Brown bugs?

lieslmcq(8a)January 20, 2010

Hey y'all,

I have these brown bugs in my worm bin. They are kind of twirly, if that makes sense. They're long and able to almost turn themselves into a circle. I hope I am making sense! Anyway, does anyone know what kind of bugs these might be and how I can get rid of them?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

That sounds like millipedes or centipedes, one of which (I forget which) you don't want in your bin.

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 4:10PM
lieslmcq(8a)

Centipedes. Oh god, I am sufficiently freaking out right now. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 5:35PM
shellva(Camden 7b/8a)

From my understanding hand catching is really the only way to deal with centipedes. Just make sure you handle them with gloves or a cup of some kind as they do bite. I came across one in my bin about a month ago, luckily I didn't grab it. A few weeks later I was digging around in my bin and came across a centipede again,don't know if it was the one from earlier, but since I had waterproof gloves on I picked it up. I could see it trying to pinch the glove. I haven't seen another one since but I am not foolish enough to think there might not be others in there somewhere. Still have plenty of worms and the population seems to be growing so if there are more centipedes in the bin, they aren't decimating the herd too badly.

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
chuckiebtoo
Maybe "the end IS near"?
Has everyone gone away? Lots of regular posters seem...
CarlosDanger
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™