3 new additions to my tropical fruit collection.

andrew78(6)November 24, 2010

Today I recieved 3 new tropical fruit trees that I bought from Jay's sale. I got a 'Bell' carambola, a seedling cacao, and a seedling grumichama.

I was very impressed with Jay's trees. Not that I was surprised by the quality, but I am very satisfied. The starfruit doesn't look like it will be too far away from fruiting. It all ready has nice thick trunks but I know they will need to continue to thicken to support the fruit. I cannot wait to get to try a "real" starfruit.

The grumichama is awesome! I never knew how ornamental the tree itself was. I am very excited to see how they will do.

If anyone has thought about buying from Jay, I would recommend buying from him. Great quality trees at a fraction of the cost pf most places.

I also forgot to mention the 'Honey Heart' cherimoya.

Thanks again Jay!

I will try to post pictures this weekend once the chaos of the holiday subsides!

Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Thanks Andrew... Funny though...the plants were actually just weeds I pulled from the yard before any freeze hit us! Sucker born every minute! :)

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 8:48AM
andrew78(6)

Hey Jay, LMAO! That's a good one!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Andrew

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 11:46AM
jackslo

The cherimoyas, macadamias, feijoas, etc. registered by Orton Englehart end with "hart" instead of "heart". He was a very accomplished CRFG member and developed and contributed many fruits we enjoy today. Google his name and appreciate the man. who also invented the Rainbird sprinkler.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 12:44PM
jb_fla(9a)

I guess I am in the dark, Jay, you have a website or something?

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 9:10AM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Hope you're not implying I meant disrespect by misspelling the name of a cultivar? We all have misspelled something out of lack of knowledge or laziness...but disrespect? Never. It is nice to learn about someone who was a pioneer in this field and responsible for many fine fruit.

Bookmark   November 26, 2010 at 8:00PM
jackslo

No disrespect assumed. Don't find that on plant forums. Orton was quite the character and contributed greatly to our enjoyment today. Many of us who collect avocados are trying to find a tree of Creamhart that Orton registered. He passed away long ago and someone, somewhere has Creamhart and we would like scionwood to keep this avocado around. Any help?

Bookmark   November 28, 2010 at 11:00PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

You think your going to get your cocoa to flower/fruit?

Bookmark   November 29, 2010 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
White Sapote in a container?
Hi, Is it possible for a white Sapote in a container...
fleabernal1983
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™