Bug problems in my avocado and soursop.

tropicalgrower89(10b)November 9, 2011

I've been noticing for the past couple of weeks these white circular marks under the leaves and I even spotted the white fly itself on one of my avocado leaves. I've also been having problems with aphids on my soursop. There are also lots of bugs and pests under the leaves of my manzano banana.

I found out that green lacewings eat aphids, whiteflies, and other pests that harm the trees: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=white+fly&hl=en&sugexp=ppwl&cp=21&gs_id=i&xhr=t&q=green+lacewing+larvae&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=609&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17215233928600276961&sa=X&ei=3xG7TrrwNseXgweMjeXACA&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQ8wIwBw

Or

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_043V003947867000P?vName=Outdoor%20Living&cName=PestControl&sName=Insect%20Killers&sid=KDx20070926x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=043V003947867000P

Will buying green lace wing eggs be a good idea?

It seems that Sevin isn't doing anything. >:-(

Thanks for your help,

Alexi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiojay(z6 OH)

Alexi...I can't speak for others but my experience with these eggs to be a great waste of money, time, and hope. And mine was in a closed and controlled environment...my greenhouse. Maybe you will have more luck with them outside. You may have better luck taking a your hose and spraying the hell out the tree. Have you tried the insecticides that attach to your hose? Knock enough back and hope that natural predators can come in a mop up.

If you bombard the other plants enough...leaving the soursop alone...maybe the bugs will all jump ship to the soursop. It would be a worthy sacrifice!! Sorry...just couldn't resist.

Good luck though. On a positive note...you DID first do a Google search!!! LOL!!

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 7:13PM
tropicalgrower89(10b)

LOL I also found this: http://www.drearth.com/products/organic-insecticides-fungicide/

Thanks ohiojay.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 7:17PM
ohiojay(z6 OH)

I'm here all week. Special engagements only. Pricey too.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 6:50AM
tropicalgrower89(10b)

^huh?

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 2:07PM
princesoursop_guiena(USDA ZONE 10)

Soapy Water. Bam.... If you have a sour sop that make flower and does not make fruit , look at the base of the flower and see if there are green pods on there. You owe me. I want half of your harvest or a least 5 fruit. I think those are aphid eggs sucking the life out of your fruit. Good Luck.

Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 8:05PM
gnappi

I always struggle with white fly and scale. I have a combined attack regimen now that seems to work on my guavas once infected.

Neem oil mixed with Volck and water, and or insecticidal soap once a week for a few weeks, spray with strong stream when I water, remove and burn leaves seriously infected with whitefly, and Bayer systemic fruit tree insecticide once a season.

I also remove scale by hand with a small stick and stream of water.

Once cleared insecticidal soap and or neem after every rain seems to keep bugs at bay.

Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 8:29PM
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

Sounds like lacebugs on your avocado

Bookmark   February 2, 2015 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
source for uncommon lychee trees
Anyone know of a nursery that will ship. looking for...
lycheeluva
Avocado Help
Hello everyone, I recently started gardening as a hobbie....
Steelsax2015
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
Tips on rooting wax jambu
Hi Everyone, I'm attempting to root some cuttings from...
stu123
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™