Sharing some success this year...

ladonMay 18, 2012

...This is the first year since I've been on this forum that my plants are doing AMAZING!! Some are 8' tall already, and loaded with fruit...and it's only May. Thanks to this forum for all the advice I've gotten over the years. I'm usually posting about all the things I've done wrong and am trying to rescue. Just thought I'd share some success pix, for a change. LOL!

FYI, I planted 2 months earlier than usual this year due to the unseasonably warm weather we had in February. I figured if it got cold again and i lost some plants it was still early enough to start again. So I went for it...and it worked, even with temps that dipped into the low 40's for a few nights. I also raised my beds this year by 14 inches. My plants are in the ground along the perimeter of the house, so I have to maximize the ground space that I have. That and a few containers too. Oh...and in the interest of full disclosure, I chose to use daconil this year too. I've lost my crop by the end of August every year, and I thought I'd give it a try this year. I know there's a lot of controversy surrounding it, but I've weighed my options and decided to go for it this year. I want my plants to survive past August.

Thanks everyone for all your tips through the years. Happy growing!!

Don

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Djole(6)

Wow! :) Great job, looks beautiful

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:24AM
suncitylinda

You done GOOD, Don. =)

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 12:03PM
SneakyP(7B)

Very nice looking plants. How high do you plan to let them get and how will you support them?

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 2:17PM
ladon

Aha!!! SneakyP, you bring up a good question...one that I've been grappling with. I think what I will end up doing is allowing the plants to get as high as the house (just above the edge of the photo), which has a flat roof. I will rig a support system, probably of twine, that attaches to the roof ridge and ties off at the bottom, probably every 12-18". Anything above that will be topped off...I think. I've never had this problem before, so I'll have to keep ya posted. LOL.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
How long for seeds to germinate?
Had a few hard to get seeds this year that have not...
anthony_toronto
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™