help with tropicals for FL!

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)November 1, 2012

I know my garden zone is 5, and currently is in northern MI. This post is for future reference.

Eventually I'd like to relocate to central FL and am wondering what tropicals I can grow there (and get fruit from).

The grow zone in central FL is 9a.

Below is a list (no I wouldn't start everything at the same time, it's just what I'd like to try growing):

Banana (edible)

Mango

Papaya

Guava

Pineapple

Citrus (Lemon, lime, orange, and clementine)

I am wondering if I can grow the things I listed above.

Also I know that southern states (like FL) it's not ideal to grow apples, plums etc.

However I've found low chill varieties so I'm wondering if it's possible to grow such things in central FL?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boson(Delray Beach,Florida)

Hi kawaiineko_gardener,

I live in south Florida and I just wanted to comment about growing apples that you asked about. I grew apples a few years ago and I got a decent crop from both Anna and Golden Dorset. They are both low-chill varieties. So you should be able to grow apple in central Florida.

Tomas

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 11:18PM
Carlincooling(fl 10b)

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know unless you go to extreme protection measures mangoes, papayas, guavas will be out of the question. I live about 5 miles from the gulf in Cape Coral, Fl and about every 5-10 years we still get a small amount of cold damage from the cold. They will be toasted from the cold up there. Big difference between central Fl and south Florida. 2 hrs north of me in Tampa they can't grow what you want. Certain kinds of citrus will do ok. You need to move south to Port Charlotte or Ft Myers on the west coast and Palm beach south on the east coast.
I have everything you want in the ground and VERY rarely have any problem without any protection. Once you see coconut palms ( I have many) you know your fairly safe.
Best of luck to you!
Kevin

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 7:20AM
Carlincooling(fl 10b)

If you do move father south their is so many more things ( tropicals) you can grow. I have soursop, jackfruit, avacados, mangoes, all kinds of citrus and all kinds of banannas , plantains. Not to mention about 25 different species of palms.
Good luck to you!
Kevin

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 7:41AM
Doglips(8b/9a)

In addition to what Carl said, I think you would want to stay away from limes as well. Unless the are potted and can be moved to protection, then you can grow about anything.

You can grow some varieties of bananas in Michigan.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
Is my tree a Sapote or a Sapodilla?
Hello, I am new to this forum and growing tropical...
waterfowler90
Sick Passionfruit Leaves
Hi Any clue about this leaves disorder? It looks like...
jalilu
Where to purchase Seedless Guava Tree that ships to CA?
Hello everyone, last month, my uncle brough me two...
simon_grow
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
Rehabilitated Mango
Hello; this is a mango that has been in our yard for...
BahamaDan ZTropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™