Loads of questions for a newbie vermicomposter
I am using a plastic 18 gallon container for my first vermicompost bin and hope someone can help me unravel some mysteries.
Here is what I am doing -
1. I am feeding the worms with vegetables that I chop up in the food processor. I am also feeding the worms coffee grounds and shredded paper (black and white ink only that goes thru my shredder).
2. There are two pounds of red wigglers in the bin.
3. The bin is put into the sun in the morning to warm it up. At night I put it in the garage where the temperature is between 40 and 50 degrees.
So here are the questions -
1. The worms tend to go to the sides while outside in the sunlight. There are no worms in the middle of the bin. Why is that?
2. I am layering the food when putting it into the bin. First the food, then bedding, then coffee grounds. The consistency is pretty gooey (the veggies look like relish after they are mixed up) and I am not sure if the air flow is OK. Should I mix everything together to get a better consistency?
3. There are tiny white insects (mites?) in the bin. They seem to hang out with the worms. Are they OK?
4. I have loads of vegetable waste and am thinking about a system that uses trays. I have between two and four pounds of vegetable waste per day. What are my other options?