something new with dormant paw-paw,s

persimmonbob(6b)November 23, 2010

I live in the Ozarks and there are plenty of wild paw-paw,s here. A couple of years i found a bunch of them by a creekbed and dug-up a few. These ones grew from exposed roots. I left some roots with the young plants and plant them a little different. I dug a hole a about 14"deep and stuck the root part straight down, fill it with decent dirt and then straightened the tree and than fill with dirt to finish. I then put a rock againts the tree to keep it straight-up. I did it with 8 tree,s and they all survive. This past spring i was able to graft sions from my exsisting paw-paw,s and were doing good till summer when drought struck and i did not water them sufficiently,but 3 grafts survived because they were under the canopy of larger plants.The failed grafts on the little tree,s show enough new growth to graft next spring.Last week i went back to the same creekbed and saw a bunch of new ones.Question,what am i going to do with so many paw-paw,s? How about a greenhouse full of mango tree,s as my next project!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nullzero(9)

Update us with pictures if you do decide to do a greenhouse filled with mangoes :P. Could add some citrus and avocados too :).

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caiden(HI, 11)

I guess you get a lot of paw-paw's to eat when they are in season then? Unfortunately I never even heard of them back when I lived in their natural range.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
My sapodilla tree has had a good crop of fist-sized...
billbrandi
How to protect your tropical fruit trees from freezing?
Here in 9b fl, we're expecting some hours of freezing...
bananafan2
Avocados for zone 3?
Please see below for my question.
loneroc1
Help with longan in pot
My longan in a pot which I put in the greenhouse about...
vanman23
Papaya wasp help
I'm on the Fla Treasure Coast and my papaya tree /...
tcgardener
Sponsored Products
Horse Plaid 14x14x11 Drum Shade (Spider)
$79.91 | Lamps Plus
Safavieh Area Rug: Soho Taupe/Multi 5' x 8'
Home Depot
angelo:HOME Bleeker Park Table Lamp - Orange - 8569-TL
$60.00 | Hayneedle
Pink & Purple Graffiti Print
$12.99 | zulily
Afina Signature Contemporary Lighted Triple Door 34W x 34H in. Recessed Medicine
Hayneedle
Retro Lattice Giclee Shade 12x12x8.5 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Sunnydaze Copper and Slate Table Rock Tabletop Fountain, 6 Inch Tall
SerenityHealth
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Island Pleasure Ivory 3 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™