Black spot

betsyconnolly(7/8)May 21, 2012

Years ago if anyone grew tomatos they would try to give them away as they had way to many. You don't see that anymore. Everyone I know is having trouble with the black spot on the fruit itself. Healthy plants, lots of tomatoes but they all get the bad spot that rots the whole tomato. What is going on ??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Healthy plants, lots of tomatoes but they all get the bad spot that rots the whole tomato. What is going on ??

That could be many different things. Tomatoes don't get the disease that roses get called "Black Spot" but there are many different things that can cause a 'black spot' on a tomato - some of them serious, many of then nothing serious at all.

Can you provide a picture of what you are talking about? More details and description?

There are lots of photo tomato problems solving websites with pics to help you identify exactly what you might be seeing. I linked one of them below.

As for giving away extra plants, I do it and so do many others here. Same goes for giving away tomatoes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU Tomato Problem Solver

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Betsy, I think you need to distinguish between black spots on the foliage of which the most common are Bacterial Spot and Bacterial Speck, as opposed to BER ( blossom end rot), which is almost always found at the bottom of the fruits, the blossom end.

BER usually doesn't cause the whole fruit to rot, just the blossom end but there's also a condition called internal BER where there's no indication of anything wrong with a fruit until you cut it open and it's all black inside. But internal BER is the rare form of BER.

BER and the common foliage diseases have been around forever and ever, so I'm not sure why you suggest that either BER or the bacterial foliage diseases seem somewhat new to you ( "black spots")and by implication, perhaps some of your friends.

The TAMU Problem Solver that Dave linked to is a good one and I'll link to another one I think is good, which is the Cornell one, below.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell Problem Solver

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Cost effective hydroponic media for 5 gallon DIY dutch bucket
I started gardening two years ago growing tomatoes...
miguelngel
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Hardening Off As A Prelude To Plant Out
Sooner or later (sooner is better :-)) , time will...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
What is wrong with this leaf?
This Pink Brandywine has one bottom leaf that is dry...
dragon49
Sponsored Products
Korver Leather Bench - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Harrison 3 Piece Queen Bedroom Set in Black
$796.00 | LexMod
Tricorn Black Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Olinda Table Lamp w/Nightlight
Lightology
Sylvania Canopy Bed Multicolor - RN831
$199.99 | Hayneedle