Who grows papaya in Houston area?

vossner(z9 houston)January 8, 2012

I recently bought a c. Waimanalo (sp?). Is it considered a dwarf? I guess it is dwarf compared to 60 ft oaks, but 10 ft seems kinda tall to me.

1) Does height pose problem when harvesting fruit? do I need a ladder?

2) Can I top it off so I can reach fruit more easily and also to encourage multiple branching?

3) is yous potted or planted inground?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

You might get better response in the tropical plants forum.

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 9:14PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Sorry you haven't gotten a response to your question here. The forum isn't very active this time of year and I guess there no one who grows papaya in Houston is reading it right now. I had papaya plants volunteer from seeds and a ten foot or so plant produced big fruit, but being in San Antonio the plant succumbed to freezing temps before the fruit ripened. If you do a search for papaya you'll find some pictures I took. Let us know what you find out on the tropical plants forum. We wish you luck!

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 9:44AM
ExoticRGVNativesTy(10a TX)

I would definitely plant it in a large container. Our papayas in the lower Rio Grande Valley have lost fruit due to freezing temperatures. In addition, a young Hawaiian Sunrise Papaya we had just planted was killed by last year's cold.

Ty

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 10:38AM
kentuck_8b(__)

Some papayas grow to 30 feet in height, but I'm not sure what a dwarf grows to since I've never even heard of a dwarf papaya.

I always planted mine in the ground after the last frost from a pot which I planted the year before...that way the plant gets more size and the papayas get time to ripen before the Winter frosts set in.

My trees grew to between 12 and 15 feet usually, and the fruit were just below the top growth.

Some Summers, the trees re-grew from the lower trunk which didn't freeze in the Winter and produced fruit by Fall, but Winter protection would be very helpful.

Kt

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 11:09AM
vossner(z9 houston)

thank you for your replies. For now, I am overwintering my tree in the garage. That buys me a couple of months b4 I have to decide on a location. I will post in the Tropicals forum.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 3:34PM
tony6

I grow Mexico Papaya last year in Houston TX from seed in 4/1/2011, 5 ft tall in 4 months and max about 8 ft. Hawaii papaya 10 ft in 4 months 14 ft tall before winter. All leaves drop and new leaves start to come out. Both have a lot of fruits but not mature so I have to cover them from frost and some still survive until today. Enjoy growing Papaya and good luck.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:19AM
beachplant(9b)

my neighbor had one that was about 15' tall, but it leaned over so easy to pick the fruit. The cold year before last killed it. They grow fast from seeds but for fruit you might want to start with a tree that is already growing.
Don't top them, most are not normally branching and it can kill them.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 1:12PM
TedReverie

I have planted Mexico papaya seed in May 2013 in Sugar Land , Texas. Some are planted on the ground and others in pots. As of today, they have grown almost two feet. I will protect the ones in pots by bringing them in to the garage in winter. I will cover the ones planted on the ground. Hopefully, they will all survive the winter cold. Can anyone tell me how long will this Mexico papaya start bearing fruit when planted from seeds? Thank you most kindly for anyone's useful feedback.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 12:24PM
beachplant(9b)

papayas will produce the first year.
Keep them covered and they will do fine. Ed grows them up in your area.
Tally Ho!

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Does this organic weedkiller REALLY work?
I've been hearing a lot of claims that a combination...
mrs.wiggley
How to plant Pride of Barbados seed pod?
Hi, For the first time I have a seed pod from my Pride...
monicatx
Golden groundsel - evergreen groundcover for rabbit infested shade
The past few seasons we've been trying to find a ground...
bostedo
California Poppies
The first bloom opened on my California poppies. The...
briaustex 8b
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Sponsored Products
Nebula Wall/Ceiling Light by Artemide
$2,750.00 | Lumens
nuLOOM Hand-hooked Trellis Taupe Rug (7' 6 x 9' 6)
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Shadow Leaves Grey 7' 6" x 9' 6"
Home Depot
Natural Fiber Grey Rectangle: 8 Ft. In. x 10 Ft. In. Area Rug
$300.95 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Cerritos Brown 5' 2" x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Swirl Cake Roll Dishcloth Set
$12.99 | zulily
72"L x 44"W x 31"H Garden Classic Iris Poly Lumber Rectangular Dining Table
Fifthroom.com
Quoizel Ariella 7" Wide Bronze Mini Pendant Light