Melon suggestions for Austin area?

pinkzinnia(8b)January 20, 2011

I managed to produce some nice watermelons last year, and want to branch out melon-wise. I've looked at the Aggie's recommendations but last night landed on the Baker Creek website, and was mesmerized by the melon varieties. I've read rave reviews of eden's gem, emerald gem, charentais, noir des carmes, petit gris de rennes, and golden gopher on Gardenweb, but the reviewers were in northern states. Can anyone recommend favorite melon types that would do well in the Austin/8b area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nguyena1(8b)

I did hale's best jumbo last year and they did great. Only issue is that I didn't cut back the water so the firsts were horribly flavorless. Towards the end though, they were great.

They are the ones growing on the trellis to the right. I panty hosed some of them, but didn't for the later ones and they didn't need the panty hose for support.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WP1RMoIDmrA/TCl-6SHMKGI/AAAAAAAABbA/NBU_TxX5k2E/s1600/IMG_0923.JPG

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 1:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johngreenhand(8 Hill country texas)

hung sugarqueen melons on trellis last fall gathered over 30 melons on 15 vines at about 6 to 8 lbs each with great flavor pulled off over 100 small melons due to lateness growth (to late to ripen) hung them with 1. cheesecloth NONO clung to everthing hard to work with then tried 2 panty hose same as above 3 fabricated net with sisal time consuming 4 HURRAY found used volley ball net and cut inot pieces 2 wide and 3 long excellent (dont need to support till nearly grown plan on 80 foot of melons this spring on 10ft x 8 ft trellis. using hortonva netting (60. dollars for 330 foot (also using for tomatoes, cucumbers and pole beans

Bookmark   January 23, 2011 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
Illustration of the Perseverance of the Old Fashioned Iris
Last summer, I got a bunch of irises from an old house...
sylviatexas2
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™