How Indoor Glenn Mango Pollinate?

anthantropicalNovember 27, 2012

Dear Tropical Fruit Lover,

I got a Glen Mango early this year. Due to cold weather, I have to bring it indoor. Soon after two weeks being indoor, it started to have flower, and now the flowers are blooming at peak. My question is what can I do to pollinate the flower so that I can have some fruit. I am so excited about it, but realized that there is no fly in the house. Therefore, I am not sure if the my mango tree can have fruit while being indoor. I deeply appreciate any advise?

Thanks,

Tuan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anthantropical

Closer look!

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 11:48PM
samuelforest(5b Montreal)

You don't need to hand pollinate. I have two mango trees and fruits set naturaly. I suggest you to put a fan next to your tree to help the pollen to move or just shake the flowers time to time.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 8:16PM
anthantropical

Thanks Samueforest for the advice. Do your mango trees fruit indoor?

Thanks

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:25PM
samuelforest(5b Montreal)

Yes, it does. I live in Montreal, so it is really cold. I have to bring 6 months of the year indoors. Since the sun is really weak here in winter I use artificial lighthing (HID) like metal halide lamps. I got 5 mangoes from the tree this year.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 5:44PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Samuel - our north-of-the-border Award Winner!

mangodog

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:56PM
theo247(7b NC)

Tuan, did yours produce after you posted the photos?

Just ran across this thread while looking for info on pollination for my dwarf Pickering that I have indoors. Glad to hear that it's easy! What advice do you all have for supporting fruit production for an indoor mango tree? Should I do anything special other than continue fertilizing with Foliage-Pro with each watering?

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences!

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 2:29PM
anthantropical

Hello Theo,

My Glenn didn't produce any fruit last year. This year my Carrie also having lot of flowers, but I haven't seen any fruit set yet. I am not sure what am I doing wrong. It's in greenhouse, day temperature is in the 80, and night is about 60 with heater. There are lot of honey bee on the flower during day time. So I assume pollination is not a problem. However, no fruit set yet. I am sorry that I haven't successfully have mine fruit yet. Maybe some other mango expert here will help you out. Please keep me post if your will be successful. Your mango plant looks awesome. Good luck Theo.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:17PM
theo247(7b NC)

Thanks for your reply! Wow, your Carrie is beautiful! Sorry to hear that you didn't get any fruit last year from your Glenn, but I sure hope your Carrie produces this year. Looks like it is just full of flowers! I'll let you know if I get fruit on mine.

Theo

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 10:49AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Beautiful Mango tree anthantropical! Very Healthy, you've done a great job!

If you're seeing honey bees pollinating the blooms, I'm sure you will some fruitlets soon...it takes several weeks from blooms to pollination to seeing baby fruitlets. The fact that you have bees pollinating them is a very good sign...you're way ahead of me (FL) I will not see blooms till end of Dec. to early January ...Good luck and please keep us posted.

You can take a small paint brush and spread the pollen around, it certainly can't hurt but the bees should be doing their job :o)

Theo you have a very nice Pickering mangol...I love my pickering mango! One of my favorites...

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 2:49PM
mangodog(palm springs 9B)

Also, and Puglvr may agree, adding some Potassium alone might help it to hold fruits as it doesn't look like you're having a problem with getting it to bloom, just hold fruitlets.....It is specifically recommended by some of the professionals growing mangoes in Florida

Maybe increase the watering a bit too, as the developing fruits do use a lot of moisture....

Like it's already been said - VERY good growing techniques for both you guys!!!!!!! The plants look
healthy enough.....

MDog

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 5:57PM
anthantropical

Thanks Mangodog and Puglvr for the advices. I will start adding some Potassium and water more often. I wish is to have just one mango fruit!!!!That's enough. Never tastes a Carrie mango before!!!!

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Cool climate Mango flowering.
Notice the flower structure seems very compact? Rootstalk...
stanofh
Lara Farms Nursery??
Anyone familiar with this Florida nursery that can...
ohiojay
Maridol Papaya with large fruit growing in Hayward/SF bay area.
Grows On You.com has a photo posted by "Delonix" of...
stanofh
Edible Banana for Zone 9
Question- What edible banana (Musa) will work best...
Man-Go-Bananas
Fertilzing with Alfalfa Pellets
Hi I would like to fertilize my young mangos with alfalfa...
jalilu
Sponsored Products
Provence Spring Outdoor Lounge Chair with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Lindon Brown 10 ft. Round
Home Depot
Kenroy Home Fermont Copper Black Outdoor Floor Fountain
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Outdoor Natural/Chocolate Polypropylene Rug Set (6'6" x 9'6" and 1'8" x
Overstock.com
Knoll | knoll kids Maya Lin Stones - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
Boca Raton Red Oval: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Oval Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$195.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™