When to plant potatoes

raisefire(Zone 8)January 23, 2014

I'm new to gardening and picked up some potato seeds at Home Depot yesterday. They are white superior potatos. The package says to wait after last frost to plant them but I believe I've heard that they can go in ground sooner since the ground doesn't freeze that often. I'm near waco and any advice of when to plant would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
insteng

My grandfather always planted his on Valentines weekend. If you wait until then you should not have any problems with them.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:58AM
raisefire(Zone 8)

Thanks for replying and confirming what I had heard. Thanks

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 6:24PM
crisslyon(8b)

I plant them at the beginning of feb. Frost will damage the leaves but they generally do not come up until after the last frost when planted at that time in this area. Last year we had a late frost and had to cover mine that had already come up. This winter has been so crazy here I'm probably going to push back the date I'm planting everything though.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 10:54AM
cynthianovak

Did you mean to say seeds, or seed potatoes? I did not know you could get taters from actual seeds until last week. I would love to hear about this. c

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 2:08PM
tex8(z8TX)

Bell County Master Gardener 2014 Plant Sale

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 3:26PM
Donch(8A)

I'm also in Zone 8, and just planted my potatoes yesterday. As usual, I missed several small tubers in the rows last fall and they have been sprouting all winter long. Whenever it freezes hard, the leaves are killed but they keep resprouting time after time. I expect they will produce my earliest crop. FYI, we grew Red Norlands last year for boilers, and they had great yields and fantastic flavor - the best of any potato we have grown. We also like Caribe a lot.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 6:50PM
Gardener972(7b-8a DFW)

I grew up in Kansas and my dad always planted them in February and there were plenty of frosts after that!

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
"Takes pruning--blooms on new growth"
What does this mean exactly? This is what my Plants...
violetwest
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™