Why no shinny paper? Is it ok to add dried mollasis to the farm? I have read use horse manure, what ratio and what exactly does it do? Does it activate the matter in the bin making the matter more digestible?
1) There are two reasons not to use shiny paper. One is that the paper has clay in it. The other is that it is coated with a substance (Varnish? Lacquer? I don't remember which) that you don't want in your bin.
2) Dried Molasses? Go for it.
3) Horse manure is the ideal environment for worms. If it has been aged for while, a couple of months or longer, you can use straight manure in your bin. If it has been hot composted, it only needs to be about a month old. Fresh manure, straight from the horse, in small amounts will also work. As a feed, it is like candy to the worms. And no bedding is necessary if it has been aged.
Most manures are loved by worms. The food is already partially digested and has microbes. The worms eat the microbes, not the food, so it's instant food. Also, since ruminants don't digest all that well, it's got the bedding too.
I just read a scientific article about an experiment conducted in India comparing different types of manure for growth rate and cocoon production of worms.
"Net biomass gain/earthworm per unit feed material in different feeds followed the order: sheep > donkey > buffalo > goat Ã¢ÂÂ cow Ã¢ÂÂ horse > camel. Net biomass gain by earthworms in sheep waste was 1.92 times higher than in camel waste"
So if you have sheep donkey or buffalo waste, go for it. If you have camel waste, reconsider ;-)
The URL was http://www.ecology.kee.hu/pdf/0302_051059.pdf
Oh Man!!! And I was hoping to get rid of ALL my camel crap!!!
Thank you all for your help. I find I now have a small spot with a grey fuzzy fungi on it. Is this normal or bad , or both?
No, it's not normal- see a doctor at once. Just don't ride a camel, it's better to take a bike.
Seriously, molds and fungi are part of the decomposition of organic matter. It's just part of the process. :)
The 'microorganisms' that worms eat are bacteria, fungus, mould, and parasites. They're pretty omnivorous when it comes to things small enough to get their mouths around and they don't need to chew (no teeth.) I burry mould when I find it. Once I was doing my usual spray with the squirt bottle to keep the top wet and sprayed a mould and got a lung and room full of mould spoors. That's the only reason I don't like them on top. I also now have fungus gnats. They're not nearly as bad as fruit flies, but not my best friend's either (indoor bin in my studio apt.)
Yeah, I was disappointed to find my camel dung wasn't so great! ;-)
I can't ride a Camel and have been to the ER to many times in last few years. perhaps I"ll make Penicilyn.....LOL Thanks folks, I find this Forum quite helpful and upbeat, I concider myself lucky to have found this source of knowledge and wit...Thanks Steve