Fertilizing schedule.

HermicideMay 13, 2013

It's only my second year growing so I need some expert guidance on a successful fertilizing schedule. The bed was amended well with compost and aged manure. Is compost tea all they really need throughout the season? If so, how much and how often?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Relatively new raised beds often lack the active soil micro herd required to sufficiently convert solid form organic materials to the nutrients needed by the plants. It takes time for the herd to develop.

Weekly does of compost teas as a root drench, assuming good quality, highly diverse components, compost can definitely help but IMO aren't enough. Additional organic liquid supplements are usually a great benefit to the plants. Especially so when it comes to micro-nutrients.

There are many high quality liquid organic supplements available. The choice is yours. They can be mixed with compost teas or used alone on alternate schedules.

As for a "schedule" of fertilization using only organics, the Organic Gardening forum here would be your best source of that info. I fertilize with organics but I use fertigation so have no "schedule". Those who use synthetic fertilizers usually recommend a 4-6 week schedule but that doesn't work with organics.

Dave

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hermicide

Great info, thanks Dave.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
The Kumato Tomato Thread
There is a litany of information across this forum...
smithmal
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™