Testing tools

NiivekFebruary 8, 2013

This seems like a great forum for wormers. I'm just getting started on having my pound or so of spineless employees make castings for me in a 18 gallon bin in my basement.
Does anyone collect empirical data from their bins and product? I've read that you ideally want a temperature between 60-70 degrees F, neutral PH and about 70% humidity. So, if you're compulsive, you want a thermometer and some other measuring tools. Its been a long time since high school, so what do you use to test PH? I remember using litmus paper in school. Where does one buy lutmus paper, or is there another device that can test the PH of your bin?
As far as humidity, I suppose a cigar store might have a barometer or something to test with.
What other data points would one want to collect to ensure you are running a good bin? Is there a tool that can test for carbon or nitrogen content?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
equinoxequinox

"is there another device that can test the PH of your bin?" I usually just dip in my tongue.

Unless you are feeding great quantities of brand new pineapple or orange pulp and zero bedding then pH is probably a non issue.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

You taste your VC, equinox? Wow you are a dedicated worm keeper.

I bought pH litmus strips on eBay. I suppose one could buy them from a biological supply house. I have only used it in working with the bokashi composting. I have not gotten into environmental monitoring of the worm bin so unfortunately I can't be of help.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Chuckie's shoe totes
I'm gearing up for spring and milk jug AACT to use...
smdmt
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
I Still Need Help For My Kitchen
The Garden Tower Project would seem to be of interest...
equinoxequinox
worms and compost
I have been using 3 compost bins outside, each about...
wolverine1012
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Bathroom Kingston Wall-Mount Bathroom Sink in Black Black K-2006-7
Home Depot
Gorham That's Entertainment 5-piece Cocktail Prep Set
Overstock.com
Peugeot Nancy Salt Mill
$40.00 | FRONTGATE
AHB Braxton Bar Stool - 130889CANY
$599.95 | Hayneedle
Sea Salt Caramel Truffles
$26.00 | Horchow