Henbit already coming up!

acalta(8)January 31, 2013

Hello All!

I am a long-time reader, but first time poster. This is only my second year with a full lawn...

Over the warm and lovely weekend here in north texas, little baby henbit starting sprouting up all over my lawn!

Last year we had a problem and got them one by one with a weed killer. But that wasn't until much later in the year.

Lawn experts: what do I do? I know there are all sorts of rules about when you can lay this and when to lay that-I just don't know them!

Signed the Lawn Novice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ogrose_tx

Hi acalta, welcome! Ah, I know, the joys of gardening in Texas... a pre-emergent put out in the fall will catch a lot of this stuff; it's time to put out again the first part of March to control weeds that pop up later in the year.

I subscribe to Neil Sperry's e-gardens newsletter, it has good information on what/how/when for gardening in this area. His current newsletter has information on when to put down pre-emergent.

I am currently battling fall aster that has spread like wildfire over the last year.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:10AM
acalta(8)

Thank you! We did do a pre-emergent in fall, but according to the garden center, we did it too late.

We will reapply in March...and become NS subscribers.

I've also been battling the evils of rabbits. My liquid fence just came in the mail last night! woohoo!

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 10:24AM
merrybookwyrm

Enjoy the pretty purple flowers! Eat them if they don't have any chemicals on them.

You will get good advice from others, but alas, I've loved the henbits since I was a toddler picking them for my mother. I don't even try to kill them.

They do work in a salad, though, even if they aren't the absolute best salad greens.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 4:09PM
west_texas_peg(8a West Cen TX)

I leave henbit for the bees.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
Banner year for Dutch iris?
Unknown Dutch iris bulbs we received ages ago as one...
bostedo
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loreleicomal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™