worm castings

tulips101(5a sterling il.)February 17, 2013

I have seperated the worms out of the compost and put it thru a 1/2 inch wire netting and i was wondering if i dont use it all on my plants can i use it over to grow more woms or should a add a bunch of peat moss or shredded leaves i want to put ENC in thestuff please inform me im not real good at this stuff.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billthewormman

Worm castings are not and ideal medium to use as bedding for worms, since essentially the worms would be living in their own waste. Not to mention there would be nothing for them to eat since it has already been processed. I would definitely add some leaves and moist shredded cardboard to the mix.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:05PM
gerris2

Try saving it and using it later in summer to make worm tea to use as you would when you water your plants?

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 4:03PM
equinoxequinox

I bet the original poster is not asking if he/she can use as bedding the material that fell through the "1/2 inch wire netting" as bedding but what did NOT fall through. Yes, toss that microbe rich stuff back on top of both bedding and especially kitchen scraps to "enlighten" them about the possibilities of way helpful friends.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:01AM
tulips101(5a sterling il.)

Thank you equinoxequinox that is what i wanted to know i quess i need to be more clear in my posts thank you.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Air: Pump + Stone
How about a 5" airstone disc with a small (for...
barbararose21101
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™