urban vermicomposting

jkenwardFebruary 9, 2009

I have a question about vermicomposting in the city. I have done some mid-scale operations in the rural setting, helping with school cafeteria composting projects where there is little concern about rodents. I'm in Detroit now and I would like to help a soup kitchen in my church (and maybe schools or other projects) compost all of their food waste. Many people that I've mentioned the idea to have been concerned about rats. There is very little written in any of the books that I've seen about rat prevention other than avoid animal products. I was wondering if you have any knowledge about problems with rats and if so any suggestions for overcoming them. Any info would be a great help. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orgarden

Vermicompost is the best solution for this situation. If you run the bin correctly, there shouldn't be issues with rodents. If there are already rodents present, you can use lids to cover the bin and seal it up, so that the only access is 1/2" holes in the bottom of the bin. I used the directions on Vcompost.com and I keep it in my garage without any issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermicompost Guide

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 8:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasdip

If you could set up a few bins indoors that would be an ideal situation. Plus you could feed steadily year-round.

It's been my understanding that the main reason meat is not recommended for worm bins, is because of the attraction of rats and other rodents. So even if you had to set up your bin outside, don't add meat to the bins and make sure the bottom holes are too small for rats to enter.

Just my thoughts, anyway

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Our new home, seems to me, needs new blood. So...from square one.....
.......one of my old beginner vermi-blogs. http://wormscan.blogspot.com/...
chuckiebtoo
Survivability of worm eggs.
I had a lidded bucket of vermicompost sitting outside...
theforgottenone1013
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
I've Got Worms!
In my cold Worm Inn. Lots and lots of squirmy worms....
equinoxequinox
Sponsored Products
Urban Beat Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Atlantis Satin White Medium Two-Light LED Outdoor Wall Light
$449.00 | Bellacor
Charles Petite 4 Piece Sofa Set in Black Silver
$2,315.00 | LexMod
Leitmotiv Cone Industrial Pendant Light in Grey
ModernistLighting.com
Mesh Uptown White Linen Chandelier
Lightology