Feeding on Paper Goods

SelenaD-ComposterFebruary 23, 2014

I am new to composting and am not sure which papers are OK and not OK. I set up my bin with the provided cardboard base and then put a layer of newspaper shreds. So I know newspaper and cardboard are ok. I am currently wondering about egg cartons and gift tissue paper.

What are your worms' favorite paper goods and how often do you give it to them? Are there any paper products that are often thrown away but could be put in the bin?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasdip

Egg cartons are wonderful in the bin! I wouldn't use the tissue paper at all because of the dye. Plain black and white paper is best; nothing coloured or glossy.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:36PM
klem1

"Are there any paper products that are often thrown away but could be put in the bin?"

Paper towels and napkins,toilet tissue roll tubes, dryer lint,paper super market bags to name a few. I don't make a great effort to sort out colored and slick paper. There is no proof the ink isn't safe and slick paper isn't as readly consumed but eventualy decay.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 1:37AM
sbryce_gw

Dryer lint will have synthetic fibers that won't decompose. Glossy paper is printed with a thin layer of varnish over the ink, which I would not put in the bin.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:14AM
jasdip

sbryce said it right. Dryer lint is made up of many textiles, much of which doesn't break down.

With access to so much paper......newspapers, cardboard, phone books, confidential records, all which are perfect for the bin, why bother with tissue paper and glossy fliers and magazine type paper? These are best recycled, and out of the worm bins. I don't have enough room to keep a lot of shredded and torn paper. I still recycle newspapers and fliers etc regularly.

This post was edited by jasdip on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 16:25

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 10:00PM
hummersteve

Most egg cartons are ok but I wouldnt use the colored ones not sure what that material is. The gray ones should be good to use.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 12:30AM
jasdip

Coloured egg cartons? The only ones I see are the white styrofoam type (obviously not good for worms) and the gray particle paper stuff. Are there other kinds?

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 4:27PM
equinoxequinox

Nope just two kinds of egg cartons for 99 percent of eggs. Some places, here, recycle both types. I feel the "the gray particle paper stuff" hand torn up a fair bit are just what the doctor ordered for small size vermicomposting. Great for adding texture to the bin. Delicious!

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
Here, in the afterglow of day, we keep our rendezvous beneath the blue
Any GardenWeb alternatives on the horizon? This worm...
equinoxequinox
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™