Got my worms
Well allright. I have begun my journey into vermicomposting. A couple of issues during the first days. My worms came in the mail on Friday. I put them in the bin Friday evening. Woke up Saturday morning and took off the cover and the worms had all crawled up the sides of the bin and on to the bin cover as well. Not what I had expected. I thought they would burrow into the bedding.
I used the sprayer to get them back where they belongn and picked up the ones that had escaped from the bin as well. I did not have time to analyze the issue on Saturday as I was going on a family trip, so I covered the bin and left. Of course when I checked them again on Sunday morning I had te same issue. Once geting them all back where they belong again. I placed a layer of dry bedding on top. That seems to have remedied the issue.
Sinday evening I gave them their first feeding. A bananna peel, some old celery, and a spoiled cucumber. All chopped up nice and small. I buried it in the bedding. My two little girls had fun holding some of the worms. THey are still very young and worms are not icky yet.
So far so good. Hopefully the good news will continue. I will keep you all updated.