Plants are dying

RockyPresley(7)January 5, 2013

Hello all, I am very young in my green thumb ability, and I need some help! My plants are dying in the winter. I don't believe that they are supposed to lose their leaves, but they are. Some of the leaves have been eaten as well. I think the plants are Texas Sage, but I could be wrong. Is there anyone that can help me address the problem from the image provided? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freshair2townsquare(z7/8, D/FW)

If the dark green is the typical color, then its not Texas Sage.

If the dark green is *not* the typical color, then it just might be Texas Sage & you've got some volunteers growing up in the middle of the sage.

Questions: How long have the shrubs been there? New transplants? Well established? Any other plants doing the same thing? Exactly where are you?

~ freshair

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 8:17PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

It looks like Texas sage to me with, as Freshair notes, a few sprouts of weed trees (possibly Cedar elm or Hackberry) coming up from beneath. Texas sage is hard to kill. It may be that it's just loosing some old worn out leaves in anticipation of putting on fresh new leaves in the spring. Even evergreen bushes get a little more sparse in the winter. Try to pull out the weed trees after a rain.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 1:10PM
texasflip(Nacogdoches, TX z8)

It looks like variegated Ligustrum sinense to me with sprouts that have lost their variegation.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 9:47AM
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

What do the flowers look like when it blooms and what color are they? To me, it kinda looks like it could be a Salvia Gregii or Autumn Sage, or one of the Microphyllas. They are not evergreen, although in a protected spot like yours close to the house, it could hold on to it's leaves a long time in winter.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 10:14AM
ocgf(Z8)

I agree with texasflip. I think it is variegated ligustrum. I have it and they do lose some foliage during the winter. I usually prune it heavely at the end of the winter to keep it down and get a less lanky and a more compact growth.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated ligustrum

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 7:40PM
RockyPresley(7)

Thank you all for the help. Yes, Lingstrum is the plant for sure. I'll cut I back after winter as Omar suggested. What do you prefer to use as fertilizer?

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 8:30PM
ocgf(Z8)

I only use organic matter on them: shredded leaves, mulch, etc..Ligustrums are not demanding plants.

Omar

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 9:47PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I got up close to the photo with the lower part of my bifocals and can now see the varigation. So the good news it the plant isn't dying. The foliage is just a little sparse in winter. As Omar says it's a strong growing plant.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Setting your profile to let people message you ...
With the old GW my preferences were set to let everyone...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Anybody grow red buckeye?
I bought a small red buckeye almost a year ago. When...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown Singleton...
sylviatexas2
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™