Seedless Papaya

mangodudeDecember 7, 2009

Hi, I grew a papaya tree from seed and recently harvested my first papaya off of it. When I cut into it it was seedless! there was a "skin" with little stubs were the seeds would've been but there was nothing there. Is this common?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

I have had that happen a number of times. And it seems to happen often with the first few fruit I harvest from a plant.
Mainly from the Hawaiian varieties like Sunrise from my experience.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 6:09PM
plumeriaman

I grew a papaya tree from a potted plant 2 years ago and just got my first fruit. It too was seedless and it wasn't very sweet either. Should I be able to grow sweet papayas in Orange County California?

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 4:10PM
murahilin(10 fl)

I have seen it before with papaya but I am not sure how common it is. I can think of a some different reasons why the fruit were seedless. It is possible that the flower was pollinated but fertilization did not occur. Or sometimes auxins can be used to stimulate the flower to form a fruit without fertilization. That too will cause seedless fruit. Another possibility is that since it was the first few fruit the plant set those fruit without pollination and fertilization because there was nothing around the pollinate it and it wanted to make fruit.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 11:00PM
caiden(HI, 11)

Yes, I've noticed this with smaller, first fruits on papaya plants. The bigger ones that develop later will surely have seeds.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 11:58PM
luigi_13(7b)

Hi, My "Red Lady" papaya flowers are opening now, in the home and under artificial light. The flowers are all female. Is it possible for it to set fruits?

Thanks

Luigi

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 4:17PM
budershank

A little weird that you bumped a really old thread to ask this question.

Are you sure they are female and not hermaphadite? If they are female, and you don't have a male nearby, then no, it will not set fruit.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Need help choosing containers for red maradol papaya
Hi friends, I am planning to start red maradol papaya...
vidnand
when mexican mangoes reach peak season?
i have a chance to go to mexico and i wanna go when...
poch1989
What would be the best fruits to grow in a mini jungle
Hi, I'm working on a small jungle area, and at...
giantgunnera
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
The Freeze in Central Florida!
The most top branches, the last 3 inches or so suffered...
seagel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™