Late Mango: Beverly or Kent

johnb51(FL 10a)December 8, 2011

I'm in the process of planning a new garden of tropical fruit trees. I intend to plant 3 (compact, small-size, easily managed)mango trees so that I have mangoes all summer. I think I'm going with Glenn and Mahachanok, but still need a late mango. It looks like it might be either Neelum or Bevery, which are totally different in flavor, right? I'd love to have a Kent, but don't have enough space. How close in flavor is Beverly to Kent, and what are your experiences in growing it? Or is Neelum so superior that I should just forget the Kent flavor, and go with Neelum? Please, mango experts/connoisseurs, help me out!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnb51(FL 10a)

So sorry. Subject should read, "Late Mango: Neelum or Beverly?."

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 12:10PM
sleep(10a/b)

I have a small Neelum tree, but I have not yet tried one.

I prefer Kent to the Beverly...

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 3:05PM
bsbullie

I have had Neelums a feel they are an inconsistent mango quality-wise. Some are excellent and some are average. If comparing comparable grown fruit, in my opinion, Neelums are better then both Kent and Beverly. I don't see anything special about a Kent.

Rob

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 3:20PM
jfernandez(10B)

Rob,
Neelums are small fruits, right? Is the tree a vigorous grower?

JF

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 9:41PM
mangomandan(10 FL)

Neelums are quite different in flavor from Beverly and Kent. A pleasant spicy flavor, but not the rich tutti fruity flavor of a good Kent. Perhaps different growing conditions make a difference. I'm in Lake Worth, Florida.
My Neelum is the only mango tree I have that has suffered from mummification of the fruit the last couple years. I don't think it is related to being a Neelum, though. Maybe bad luck or the fact that all the other mangos are gone before this problem comes along.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 10:30PM
bluepalm

Why not the Keitt? It is a very late bearer here in FL and is an excellent mango.

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 11:13PM
bsbullie

JF - yes, the fruits are small but packed with flavor. They have a strong, sweet flavor. If you don't like a strong flavored mango, then the Neelum is not for you. The tree is not a vigorous grower, and with proper pruning can be kept quite small and manageable.

Bluepalm - I consider Keitt a commercial type mango. While some are good, a lot are just of that "mango" flavor. A mix of sweet and tart but not a lot of complexity. Again, this is all subjective and I would never mean for somebody to feel that they are wrong for liking any variety of mango, or any other fruit for that matter. I think the biggest issue for JF is that the Keitt, while not a huge tree, it is a medium size tree that is open with a sprawling growth habit. It will take up some space.

Rob

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 11:49PM
adiel

John, you mentioned you wanted 3 compact trees correct? Here are my suggestions:

1. Angie (early season)
2. Pickering, Fairchild or Julie
3. Neelum (late season)

The other trees such as Keitt are great late season mangos but as Rob mentioned, they are large trees.

Adiel

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 8:50AM
jsvand5

Can't help you on the Beverly vs kent, but I would pick something other than a Glenn for your other choice. There are many better options than a Glenn for what you are looking for. Most of the time in FL Glenns are just a watery average tasting in my opinion.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 11:36AM
manny8077

whats a better choice overall a kent or a glenn mango tree

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:03PM
johnb51(FL 10a)

Glenn is a smaller, more compact tree. Personally I like the flavor of Kent better. It's richer and sweeter. Also, Kent fruit is generally larger than Glenn. If you have the space, I'd recommend going with Kent.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 12:30AM
jalilu(Sunset Zone 23/24)

What about Gouveia?

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
Lychee Mauritius finally blooming ....
My 10-year old Lychee Mauritius is finally in bloom....
bananafan
Old problem with Miracle fruit plants
Hi everyone here! I've been trying to grow miracle...
swfx
Do you have a Soursop that is producing fruit for you?
I purchased a Soursop back in 2009 and it has always...
bananafan
Lychee like grapes
I just sat down reading some of the forum posts with...
zone10aridgardener
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™