Heirloom transplant is all flowers on top

seanmorr(8)May 14, 2013

I have a vorlon heirloom that I planted 3-4 weeks ago and had inside a wall of water
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/5221-product.html#.UZJmNaL1fSg

about 1.5 weeks ago I pulled the wall o water and plant looked good, plant about 14 inches tall. Added some fertilizer and lime to soil when I planted and in a raised bed with good soil. However the top has become all flowers, maybe 20+ buds and no leaves above the buds. I snipped 2/3 of the flower buds but now I'm concerned the plant might have been over stressed since it shot out so many flowers.
We did have 2 weeks or so of very warm weather for Portland in may with 80+ temps during the day. now we seem to be back to normal may weather. Its my only vorlon so not sure if I should try to get a new one and replant or let it go. Any advice appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BigN_187(9)

If its your only one, and you think it's stressed because of the erratic flowering, why not leave it, and try to get fruit set for some seeds for next year? And if you want some this year to enjoy, get a new one like you said. But don't rip out the wack one just because you get a new one, if you do that.

I have no idea why that would happen in the first place, however.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:51PM
tomahtohs

Sounds to me like the growth point terminated with the flower cluster. This happens occasionally to my plants too, and I've never been able to figure out why it happens, either. It happened to one of my "Supersteak" tomato this season

That said, your plant will be okay, methinks. In my experience, when the main stem stops like that, a sucker or two takes over in place of the main growth point.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 11:13PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It is called "stunting". The plant itself is stunted and sets its terminals blooms. Stunting can be caused by several different stress factors but the most common is early exposure to overly cold air and/or soil temps. It is one good reason to avoid overly early planting out.

Dave

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Baby tomatoes with yellowing leaves
My tomatoes plants are about 5 weeks old. They have...
libraryannie
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Hardening Off As A Prelude To Plant Out
Sooner or later (sooner is better :-)) , time will...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Bedroom Lamp: Ainsley 23 in. Multi Table Lamp 0865300730
Home Depot
Wilton 12 Cavity Nonstick Spring Cupcake Pan - 2105-0592
$14.99 | Hayneedle
Dreidel Ornament
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Lila Garden Mirror
Grandin Road
Verne Metal Table
$329.99 | Dot & Bo