How do I know if I actually have worm castings?

EcopalFebruary 22, 2012

Hey Everybody

Well I have had my worm bin for about a month now and I would like to harvest a little for a basil plant I recently started. But the thing is that I do not know what is worm castings and what is just the thin layer of compost I put in the bin to duplicate there environment. How do you distinguish between worm castings and regular soil? They are all active and been reproducing like crazy so I must be doing something right.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
equinoxequinox

I think worm castings look a bit like chopped cigarette tobacco. If your bin is white or if you have ever kept worms in a light color container with a cover for a couple of days the sides of the container above the food level will have 1/4 inch castings on them. You should be able to see individual ones. Even when harvested you should be able to see the individual ones depending upon what harvesting method you use. Coffee grounds would be maybe rounder? It all depends upon how close one wants to look.

I know one thing. However good your vermicompost is this week, if you stop feeding for a week and let the worms work just on what you plan to harvest, you will like it even better in a few more weeks.

When I am in a rush for compost I put some in an old plastic easter basket with good sized holes in it and shake the material. What falls out is my harvest. What stays in is put back on top of the bin. I almost think this partially processed material is very good for the health of the bin. It balances out the excesses in all directions, too wet, to dry, to acidic, of new additions.

Good luck, hope you have some already.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 1:18AM
More Discussions
Easy harvesting trick using onion bag
If you're like me, a lazy harvester that ends up releasing...
yukoyd
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Worm illness / worms are dying
Hi there, I have a serious problem with my worm bin: Same...
Horst Knotter
More worm factory questions.
First of all, thank you for all the help this forum...
byrdmando
Moldy Coffee Grounds
I have a large plastic container of used coffee grounds...
Shaul
Sponsored Products
Modway Remix Office Chair in Red
Beyond Stores
Oil Brushed Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant with Clear Glass with Mesh Insert
$552.00 | Bellacor
The Art of Slush
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
New Runner Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool 3'x10' Rose Red Oriental Rug H5163
BH Sun Inc
Dainolite Maya MYA-14FH-PC Flush Mount Fixture - MYA-14FH-PC-900
$622.00 | Hayneedle
Domi Chrome One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Bicolor Orange and Pina Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor
Stillwater Chandelier
Lightology
Safavieh Handmade Soho Summer Rust New Zealand Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™