How do I transfer my worms?

homeinametronomeFebruary 16, 2013

Hello,

My box is beginning to get a bit crowded, and I am thinking about taking some of the worms out to set up a composting bin for my friend.

What is the most ideal way to transport them?

Can I put them all in a small plastic yogurt container with holes in it for a few hours?

He lives 45 minutes away from me. He will have the box prepared by the time I get there.

Or should I just make an entirely new bin at my home and carry it all to my friends house? I don't want to do this because its so heavy and I am taking the bus, but if this is what I have to do to ensure the worm's safety, then I will. But I know that people order worms on the internet. What kind of packaging are they in?!

This post was edited by homeinametronome on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 21:54

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billthewormman

You will do alright if you just put them into another plastic container (like a yogurt jug) with some vermicompost and fresh bedding. Just make sure you poke lot's of holes to ensure it has good ventilation. The best way to get your friend going is to try and pick out breeding adults from your bin to give to him. That will ensure they begin to populate his bin immediately.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 2:41PM
espor(z5 PA)

What I would do is give your friend some vermicompost from your bin first (no worms). Have him mix this into his new bins bedding, wait a couple of weeks for the bedding to "ripen" and then give him the worms. The worms will basically be moving back "home" and there shouldn't be too much stress on them. The new bin will have the same microherd that were in the original bin at your house and will have had time to start the composting that feeds the worms.
Also, the yogurt container will be fine for the transfer.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:48AM
mr_yan

I think sending them via carrier pigeon would be optimal.

Just put them in a tub or bag and drive over.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 6:47PM
sbryce_gw

Go with the yogurt container. If it is only an hour or so, you don't really need to poke holes. Grab a handful or two of bedding from your bin, and the worms that come with it, put them in the yogurt container, and be on your way. The worms will be fine.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard
Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus...
gerry_g
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™