Overwhelm your Food Scraps with Browns

equinoxequinoxMarch 31, 2013

"Overwhelm your Greens with Browns" This concept is the key to vermicompost bin balance. An unbalanced bin is an unhappy bin. We do not want unhappy worms.

"The name of the game is just to really overwhelm your foodscraps with your browns and you will see that you get much better compost. It's not going to smell and it's going to break down quicker" Credit to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwu21uR1oBQ

The micro tumbler looks like it might mix together my juicing scraps with browns and let them all get nice and juicy together before adding to the bin. But DIY I will just probably put them in a 5 gallon bucket and give it to the kids to kick it between two goals in the yard. Because I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a vermicompost pre-tumbler.

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 0:45

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Good information, thanks, Equinox.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:18AM
priswell(9 CA)

Words of wisdom. A hot compost pile is built to balance greens and browns in a ratio that will cause the heating up of the pile. I think of vermicomposting, as starting with mostly browns to give the worms a medium to swim in, and adding greens to it as food. Anytime I get too far from this concept, sure enough, I get an unbalanced bin.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:54AM
sbslider

I managed to go double digit years just putting kitchen waste in my bin. Just in the past few days I have rediscovered the bin and gotten a ton of brown material I it. The worms had stopped eating and were all hiding somewhere. Now they are back and thriving. Long live the browns!

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:46PM
Elbourne(8b)

I use shredded copy paper from the office. Generous amounts laid on top of the kitchen scraps seem to make the worms very happy.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Maybe "the end IS near"?
Has everyone gone away? Lots of regular posters seem...
CarlosDanger
how fragile are worms?
I was harvesting vc and really had put some force into...
chazz1100
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™