Adding mites to a new worm bin

Shaul(Israel)March 18, 2010

I'm in the process of setting up a new bin. My present bin has a healthy population of mites which I would prefer not to transfer to the new one. Anyone have any suggestions on how to move the worms without the mites?

Shaul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasdip

I feel your pain Shaul. I always, always get mites in my bins. I hate the little buggers.

One time when I harvested my worms I *washed* them.
I put some in a yogurt container, filled it with unchlorinated water. The worms settle to the bottom and the mites float to the top. Carefully poured off the water. Did this a few times to make sure I got as many mites as possible.

Good luck!

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 8:38AM
tedsfarms

I am going to try the coffee ground method since I go through a lot of coffee. Besides, worms like coffee anyways.

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 2:48PM
pjames(8/LA)

What is the coffee ground method? My wife does not know I am keeping a couple worm bins in the spare bedroom. She might accept them but would not if she looked close and saw all the mites as well.....

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 5:23PM
sandy808(9Fl)

I need to know what the coffee ground method is too. No matter what, I always get them in one of my bins. I've even washed the worms too. Took all day once, and of course they hated it!

Sandy

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 9:38PM
tedsfarms

Do a google on compost gnats. I have the same issue with gnats and thought that this was an idea worth trying.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 3:15AM
mwudan

i don't think coffee grounds will work. i have a small indoor bin that is fed almost exclusively UCG, and it has plenty of mites. as some have noted, they are part of the composting community, and don't seem to bother the worms.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Need few red worms / red wigglers to start composting near torrance, C
Hi all, We recently moved to Torrance, CA. I need...
vidnand
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
Cardboard Shredding, Shredding Cardboard
Hello everyone, I have a tiny space in town and cannot...
iamlook
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™