Excited that my expansion plan is working!

Worms4TracyMarch 13, 2012

Late last fall I started with a plan to expand my worm population - every time I harvested the compost with a 1/8" sifter, I took the leftover unprocessed chunky stuff (which was thick with cocoons) and put it into a new bin. I mixed brand new bedding with the unfinished compost mixture, and just waited. Three months later, I have six 40-quart bins that are chock full of worms and are consuming food at an amazing rate. They are now almost ready to harvest for compost, and I will use the leftovers to start new bins. Just wanted to share my delight with people who would appreciate my excitement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patrick1969

That's awesome. My worms aren't expanding that quickly at all. Of course I'm not trying to expand that fast either.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 1:40PM
chickencoupe

Excellent Tracy! I know the excitement. I, too, have found that the little "casting balls" are filled with new hatch-lings. One night while harvesting I couldn't help notice how some parts of the castings were in a "ball" but there was no particular reason for them to be coagulated in such a fashion. There was no cardboard or unfinished compost. When I carefully opened the ball of castings I noticed very tiny white worms. Newborns! Now, I am careful to replace the little "casting balls", as I call them, knowing there are lots of little guys in there and they'll be juvies in a few weeks!

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:50AM
11otis

ChickenCoupe: Are you sure they are white, no hint of pink at all? Hate to tell you this but if they are white, those are pot worms.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
chuckiebtoo
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™