Put One Foot In Front of the Other

equinoxequinoxMarch 26, 2011

A few days ago I had put 4 inches of recently harvested very rough vermicompost into a never used for its intended purpose, uncovered, diaper pail, like a 5 gallon pail but twice as tall. I have stored vermicompost in it before. I intended to put the compost back on top of the flow through when the level had sunk down a bit. I heard some singing from the basement at midnight. Flicking on the lights I saw an 18 inch tall half inch thick line of worms making a perfectly straight B line for the top rim. They were about 5 inches away from the top. So no doubt one followed the other. I shooed them all back down. Night vision goggles and camera would be great to see just how they do it. Like tornado chasing except worm chasing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steamyb(7)

Wow- for worms to organize and execute a 'freedom march'- maybe we underestimate our little charges? Obviously more research needs to be done on worms. The assumption that with a nerve ganglion instead of a �proper� brain, worms would be severely restricted in what they could accomplish. I�m at a loss for an explanation of a group activity on this scale. �Amazing� is the best I can come up with!

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 9:28AM
equinoxequinox

I looked through the archives for something I remembered reading here.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/worms-communicating-with-each

It's a dot com. I hope the moderator does not freak out.

The line was maybe so straight because they were trying to "maximise contact" as the article says.

I wonder if the same one stayed the leader of if the leaders dried out and the livelier, still moist followers then took the lead?

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:26AM
steamyb(7)

Sounds like an experiment to me! :)

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™