Dead of winter in 9b

JayEmVee(z9 SF Bay, CA)January 31, 2011

OK, so it's not terrible, but I'm confused about how to treat plants that never really seem to sleep. Cyperus (papyrus), Hawaiian snow bush, heliconia and lemongrass among others.

I could post about each one separately, but the issue is the same: do I prune them back or not? I could knock the lemongrass down from it's present height of 7', including seed plumes as you would a purple fountain grass, I could take out each flowering cyperus stalk, I could trim...well, you get the idea, but I really can't tell if these plants need to be reminded it's time to re-group.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JayEmVee(z9 SF Bay, CA)

I can't seem to edit the personal info on my page so let it be said, I'm in ultra south Texas, Port Isabel/South Padre Island.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 11:09PM
texasflip(Nacogdoches, TX z8)

I've never seen Hawaiian snowbush before, but I can tell you that for stuff that spreads by rhizomes like cyperus, heliconia, and lemongrass (and bananas and ginger, etc.), you can typically let the tops get beat up in winter and then cut them back to the ground in spring so that new shoots come up and replace the old ones (which don't ever really recover, depending on how harsh the winter was). It keeps the plants much neater, especially things like cyperus).

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 10:58AM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I've been growing several clumps of lemongrass in my yard for years and never give them any special attention during cold weather. They even survived the 2004 Christmas 6" snow here in Rockport. And I have never cut them back, but I have cleaned out the dead outer leaves come spring. I would just let them be and see what happens. Good luck! Stay warm!

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 11:31PM
greenleaf_organic(8, TX)

Wow, it must be nice to be 9b. I would love it. Are you getting hit hard by this winter freeze that's chillin us northerners in San Antonio?

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Snow last night wrecked my greenhouse....
Well, I beleive i had mentioned before how I was regretting...
cygnwulf
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Early Birds ...
While Carrie's birds are trying to keep warm, mine...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™