last summer I bought a 4' lemongrass

JayEmVee(z9 SF Bay, CA)January 26, 2011

start. It's now 7' tall and going to seed but still looks good, kind of like a thin pampas grass. Here's my question: I live in zone 9b, the very south of Texas on the coast. Should I cut this plant down to knee height, the way one would purple fountain grass or any other ornamental grass? I use it for cooking all the time and it would be great if I could expect it to continue in such a robust and graceful manner, but would cutting it back be better in the long run?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I think cutting it down would get you new growth. It would get cut down by the winter here in 8b naturally but When I lived in Hawaii, I never cut it down and never noticed it, so I think it is fine either way you decide..

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I think that in south Texas you won't need to cut it down. I've had several of them in my yard for years, and I have never cut them down. They even survived the 2004 6" Christmas snow without any protection. And living so far south, I think that you should do just fine and can continue to use your lemongrass year round. You might want to check out lemongrass. Good luck!

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™