Plant out or harden-off at how many leaves?

tomtuxman(6bNY)May 18, 2012

I started my tomato seedlings and others quite a bit later than usual this year. Normally at this time of year, I'm hardening off fairly sizable starts in anticipation of planting out in a week or two at latest. I usually start planting out tomatoes no sooner than May 19th, no later than June 2. Works out fine in my zone.

Right now my tomato seedlings have only two sets of true leaves each. They are still indoors.

Is it too early to start hardening them off? Is it too early to plant out if they only have two or three pairs of true leaves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

I'm also in NYS, but usually a zone 5, and I use the same plant out dates that you suggested.

If it were me I wouldn't start hardening off seedlings with just two sets of leaves, and I don't count how many leaves, rather, how tall the seedlings are before I start hardening them off.

I want to set out seedlings that are about 6-9 inches tall and so start hardening them off at about that height and it takes me a full week to harden them off properly depending on the weather.

Have I ever set out plants with only two sets of leaves? Yes, I have, but only when there were special circumstances that dictated that I HAD to do that. Sigh.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 4:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I'm not disagreeing with the above but I don't think it has anything to do with the number of leaves. That is a secondary issue. The primary issues are the size/health of the plant and the weather 8-10 days prior to plant out date.

Depending on the variety and how the plants are grown one could easily have a 6-10" plant with only 2 sets of true leaves just as one could have a 4" plant with 3 sets.

Weather permitting your seedlings, IF they are at least 6" tall and healthy, should be ready to harden-off with care over the next week to 10 days and then go to the garden.

Dave

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Big Beef Vs. Better Boy
Recently I was searching a tomato variety. Accidently...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Supermarket Tomatoes Plants II
Here we go again. I have started 8 more seedlings for...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™