Best Tomato Varieties for East Texas

alameda/zone 8May 23, 2010

I seem to have struck out with Brandwine - no fruits set - and would like to know which varieties would do best for me. I live 2 hours NE from Houston. I enjoy big juicy tomatoes with lots of flavor. It may be too late to plant any now, but would like to try. Any suggestions? Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alamo5000

Where abouts are you located at? Are you near Madisonville? If so I am a tad south of you by around 30 minutes.

Brandywines will definitely set fruit but you have to start them out early and get them outside ASAP. You have about a 6 weeks or so window that the plants must be outside ready to go during that time. Otherwise the heat will not allow them to set fruit.

I was getting buckets of brandywines last year. This year I planted them again but a mix up at the tomato company left me with something I am not sure what it is. Personally it might be the regular leaf brandywine red variety, but I don't know. All I do know is them suckers are loaded to the max with fruit.

From my experience I so far have been able to get fruit from everything I planted.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™