6 foot earthworm

equinoxequinoxMarch 31, 2014

Who do we think is the real author of this article?

"Mistaking it for a snake, with great care they took it to a professor at the University of Melbourne, who I hope informed them that snakes generally have, you know, teeth and scales and stuff."

"They donâÂÂt have teeth, but they do have a gizzard, where small rocks that the worm has eaten help grind up food. (Some birds do this as well, by the way, as did their ancestors the dinosaurs. As do some enterprising human children, though it does them no real good.)"

"Fertilization actually occurs inside the egg cocoon, which a worm will produce only once a year. When the worms finally decide theyâÂÂre financially stable and mature enough to have a child, a structure called a clitellum releases an egg case, which slides forward and gathers eggs and sperm. The egg is then laid in a chamber branching off from the burrow, and can take as many as 12 months to hatch. When it does, at a foot long the baby is already huge (for perspective, thatâÂÂs as big as a foot-long Subway sandwich ⦠I think)."

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/absurd-creature-week-earthworm-backup/#slide-id-641318

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
equinoxequinox

Bump.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
where is our welcome ?
where is our welcome ? Look at that ! Characters left...
barbararose21101
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
chuckiebtoo
Maybe "the end IS near"?
Has everyone gone away? Lots of regular posters seem...
CarlosDanger
Air: Pump + Stone
How about a 5" airstone disc with a small (for...
barbararose21101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™