flowers on tomatoes

citypigeonMay 28, 2008

Hi - I am a new gardener and very excited about my three tomato plants (one is a bush type, one roma and one cherry). Last week I saw little yellow flowers on my very small plants. I pinched them back - now there are a lot more. Am I supposed to keep pinching them off? and if so, when do I stop? Any advice would be appreciated.

Citypigeon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnny_tomato_seed

Those flowers become tomatoes. Unless you want to grow just a tomato plant, you shouldn't pinched them back. Where are you getting information that you should pinch back ?

I think you might be mistaken or misinformed about pinching back the flowers during the first week of transplant, where the engergy is better well spent building up the plant first.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 3:15PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree. Can you explain to us why you think you need to pinch off the flowers? How long since the plants were planted?

Dave

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 3:53PM
citypigeon

OK thanks johnny. When I pinched back a few weeks ago, the plant was very tiny - I thought I read that if you pinch back the plant will use its energy to make a strong plant - Maybe I confused it with the suckers - Thanks - I will stop immediately (there are a lot of flowers now).
Citypigeon

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 3:55PM
citypigeon

Hi dig dirt - thanks - I couldn't find my book today and so I turned to the forum. I only picked off a few (last week). I am a new gardener. Promise not to pick any more.
City Pigeon

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 4:01PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

No problem - we all gotta learn. ;) Keep in mind that you have one bush variety and one roma - they are determinates so you don't remove the suckers on them either. That's where you get the fruit. Don't know about your cherry plant - some are determinates so don't do any pruning, and some are indeterminates. Depends on the specific variety whether you do any pruning on it or not.

review the FAQ here on Pruning - see the FAQ link on the forum front page. It will help you understand what to remove or NOT remove better.

Enjoy your plants.

Dave

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 4:37PM
katib_gardener(9)

Stupid question here, what exactly is a sucker? I'm not sure what I should be removing.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 9:48PM
soonergrandmom

Play it safe - Don't remove anything unless it's crawling.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 12:14AM
creasyj_gmail_com

Hi, in response to this post I have a question. I have read that you can cut back everywhere stem 1/4 of an inch once a week and it will focus energy to grow more and better tomatoes. Is this true? I am not talking about pinching any suckers, just cutting 1/4 inch off of every other 'branch'. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Nevada/Gardening Blog

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Plant Out Plans For--2015 Season
Who is getting ready for the big event : i.e, PLANT...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Jersey Boy - 2015
I volunteered to post a review for "Jersey Boy"...
hudson___wy
Concerned about Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes
I recently picked up a pakc of little tomato plants...
Noteybook
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™