Red wigglers vs nightcrawlers

jasdipMarch 18, 2008

I've got an indoor rubbermaid bin with the red wigglers (eisenia foetida) that is doing great. They seem very happy and are laying cocoons.

What is the difference between using red wigglers and the European Nightcrawlers for indoor composting purposes?

Thanks,

Sherry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vermiman(7)

It is aid that European Night Crawlers compost and breed slower than red wigglers. I have both and I haven't noticed a big difference.

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 9:02PM
suziqzer

I just started a bin with reds for composting & am considering a bin for Euros too... better for DH for fishing. I want to have my reds bin a little longer to be sure that it's going well before I order the Euros.

I think it would be fun to have both & see the differences in the way they live and catch fish :) Although I may have a little more trouble putting worms on hooks now as I see them differently.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 3:09PM
takadi(7)

Sometimes I read that Euros eat and breed less, other times I hear they eat alot more than fetidas. I guess the one big advantage is that they grow pretty big.

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 6:16PM
jasdip

They still intrigue me somewhat, in fact I may be getting some sent to me from a fellow wormer friend.

I know I won't feel as close and affectionate with them as I do the reds. They are actually kind of creepy cause they're so big. I don't fish, so I just want to see some differences.

I plan on keeping them in separate quarters. Some people combine them in the same bin as reds, since the ENC's like it moist and hang out at the bottom and the reds are at the surface more.

Sherry

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 10:13PM
lasingwire_agric_mak_ac_ug

Redwinglers have got a short lifespan and reproduce quickly

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
how fragile are worms?
I was harvesting vc and really had put some force into...
chazz1100
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™