Mold and Mites!!

jgoreMarch 19, 2009

I opened my bin today to see white grayish fizzy mold across areas on the entire top of my bin and little yellowish mites were crawling on my bin lid.

What could have caused this overnight? I added some onion and garlic skins yesterday along with some coffee, really just the papery skins though, not actual onion. Is it possible I just had the lid pushed down a little too hard and enough air flow wasn't getting through? Should I consider leaving the lid off for a day to encourage the worms to burrow and air things out??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jgore

I realize I've probably overreacted after reading through the forums for a while. I think my lid was pressed down somehow in the last couple days created poor airflow and caused the development of the white fuzzy mold on the top of my bin.

I stirred things around a bit and saw very few mites compared to what I hear in some others posts and maybe one or two fruit flies, nothing major. Underneath the top couple inches was a lot less moist and the more proper consistency that normally is throughout my bin.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 4:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
takadi(7)

As long as you don't have dead or crawling worms coming out of every orifice of the bin, the best rule of thumb for a worm bin is to resist the temptation of messing around with it and leave it alone.

I forgot to follow that rule for the last week and a half when I had constantly checked my bin to dispose of a ton of seedlings that sprouted in my bin. Soon the worms began disappearing and squeezing into the bottom drainage area, and they became very very sluggish.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
Chuckie's shoe totes
I'm gearing up for spring and milk jug AACT to use...
smdmt
Worms and Burlap
I understand there have been many posts on burlap....
hummersteve
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Sponsored Products
NMRT-465 3-lt MR16 Adjustable Gimbal Multiple Recessed Trim
LBC Lighting
Eiffel Arm Chair in Mustard
$154.99 | Dot & Bo
MTI Elise 5 Freestanding Tub (63" x 32" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Schonbek La Scala Collection 28" Wide Crystal Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Indoor Area Rug: Thomaspaul Brown/Cream 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Andros Brown/ Natural Runner (2'4 x 6'7)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™