Anyone Want a Kumquat Plant?

eahamel(9a)February 28, 2013

I have two, they've been in the ground several years, and are already producing more than I can use. If someone wants to come dig one up, it's yours.

It's the Nagami, the tart/sweet one.

I'm in SW Houston.

And if you can, I'd like for you to help me move two small grapefruit trees that are in the wrong place - I put them near a Rio Red grapefruit, which has grown very large very fast and is swallowing them up!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Hello, since you are growing grapefruit trees, do you have any advise on the perfect location, and any other planting advice. I just bought a naval orange, persian lime, mangrin orange and rio red grapfruit, have no clue on where to plant in the yard. I will be planting them in Rockport Tx? I would appreciate any citrus planting advise. I also have a meyers lemon that I need to plant there. My husband just retired and wants citrus trees, and I have no clue. Barbra

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:04AM
eahamel(9a)

All of those will do fine in Rockport, Barbra. The more sun the better. I like citrus more than other fruits because birds, squirrels, coons, possums, etc. leave them alone.

You might contact your county extension agent for specific advice. I have hard clay soil in my yard and they do fine. Give the rio red plenty of room, it gets very large very fast. It will have a heavy fruit set every other year. The mandarin is the only small one you have, so give them some room. They can get 20 ft tall or so and 15-20' wide over time. I'm having to move a couple that are too close to my rio red, all were planted at the same time, and it's quite a bit larger than the other two.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 7:31PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Thanks for the information, do you know what side of the house they need to be planted on, to have the best results? I am going down on Monday and would like to plant a couple in the ground, the rest in 15 gallon pots. Barbra

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Anybody grow red buckeye?
I bought a small red buckeye almost a year ago. When...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™