Meyer Lemon Tree

carrie751(z7/8 TX)February 19, 2009

I am looking to buy one of these this year, and would like some advice on where to start looking. I saw a few at Calloway's yesterday, but am very inexperienced as to what I should be looking for. These were all in bloom ( smelled wonderful, BTW), and looked healthy. They were priced at $50. Is this a reasonable price? Anyone growing these, please chime in and tell me what you thing, where you got yours, etc. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nbtonya(8a)

Hi Carrie, don't know where you live but I recently found one at Maldanados nursery in New Braunfels. I think it was about $20. They are great folks there and have other "branches" (pun intended) in San Antonio and maybe other places. Google the name and I am sure you will find their site.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 10:45AM
rick_mcdaniel(Lewisville, TX)

They are nice ornamentals, but they are only cold hardy down to 20 degs. so you have to bring them in during the winter, at least a few times, when the temps drop that low.

There are better deals out there, than $50., but I don't know how large the one you looked at, was.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 12:08PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Rick, I do know they are not winter hardy, but should do nicely in my plant room during our cold months. I had a lemon tree a few years back, but it got too large for me to move in and out, so I thought this smaller one would be a nice alternative. If you hear of a better deal, let me know.
nbtonya, I live north of Dallas and south of Denton. Thanks for the name of the nursery, I will google and see if we have them in our area, though I have not heard of one.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 12:47PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Lowe's had nice bushy ones last year for $25 so you might check there.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 12:48PM
rick_mcdaniel(Lewisville, TX)

Carrie, I can't remember (CRS) where I bought mine, as it was several years back. However, I am pretty sure I didn't pay more than $25. for it. Probably got it at HD or Lowe's, although it might have been at Calloway's.

Mine has done well this year, after the hail did some damage last spring, and I had to prune it back. It is now larger than ever. I have it in a fairly large pot, and it takes my wife and I together, to bring it in, when the temps dip a little too much. I don't bother until the temps dip below 28 degs.

I won't be shopping until mid-March, though, for anything new. I put dianthus in the beds last fall, so we are good until then, at least.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 1:54PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Thanks all, I will check Lowe's soon.... 50% is a big savings !!!!

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 1:57PM
texanjana(8)

I have several in pots. Just be sure you put it outside so the bees can pollinate it if you want lemons!

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™