Wagon Wheels as trellis

ladybugfruitFebruary 23, 2011

So I been thinking about how I can work veggies into my existing beds this year ( already realized I bit off more than I can chew with new landscaping projects) and since space will be an issue, I had the revelation last night that my wagon wheels from my precious mother's gardens of past would work great as a trellis and give me some vertical gardening options. Now the question is how can I safely get them secured in the ground to use them. I certainly don't want them falling over (especially on a dog!!). I have sandy loam with lots of small rocks and the engineering aspect of this project has me at a loss. How would you do it?

Here's a pic of one them at my previous property.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
princealbert(Aransas Pass TX)

I have been looking for a couple of wheels like that. I want to put them on top of a post and hang baskets around the rim.
you could mount them that way and put string or netting from the ground up for a trellis- cukes- running beans and the like.
pa

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 10:50AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Very nice and love that it's from your mother's garden. You could secure them between two fence posts. If the fence posts are set in quickcrete and the wheels secured with strong wire it wouldn't damage the wheels.

There's a forum on GW called "garden junk" where some very nice experts in this stuff hang out. GW calls it "garden junk" but it's really cool stuff. They'd love to see that great looking wheel and give you additional advice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk link

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 11:09AM
ladybugfruit

Thanks for sending me to Garden Junk!! That is really a fun forum too! Got lots of suggestions on how to get those babies up. I will post pics when I get them in their new home.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 10:57AM
ladybugfruit

Well, Got em in today and I can't wait to get some green growing on them! Here's a shot of their new home. :)

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
I entered this post in the prairies and meadows forum...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™