Low Acid tomatoes

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)May 31, 2012

I love tomatoes but if I eat them I get mouth sores. Any suggestions for the best low acid tomato for me to grow? I am in the Pacific North West.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julie717

This thread has a chart showing ph of many tomatoes, its down at the bottom of the thread.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg081645247923.html

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 4:08PM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Unfortunately, the chart isn't available to me.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:41PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Here's a clickable link, if that will help:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg081645247923.html

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:54PM
spfx

I don't know how they will do out there in the northwest but my favorite low acid tomato is German Johnson. Their is also a German Queen too. I am trying to grow some in containers and i am a little worried about them so i don't know if i would recommend them for containers till i see how they do but they are a great tasting low acid tomato that is sweet.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 12:20AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

The range shown on that chart is very narrow and doesn't really indicate pH's higher than the about 4.5 or so that have been shown for some varieties. The higher the pH number the lower the acidity.

There are few varieties that have been documented to have low acid, Jet Star F1 is one of them, there are a few others as well, but I just don't have the time right now to go searching.

Most pastel colored varieties are said here and there to have low acid, but they don't, it's just that the higher sugar content masks the normal pH.

I'm sure some of you who can tomatoes have seen the warning with Jet Star F1, for instance, which advises adding citric acid or what ever, and that acidification was also expanded to all tomatoes to be canned. The reason being that if the open water bath method is used, an acidic environment is necessary to inactivate any botulism spores that might be there.

Dotty, you may be having an allergic response to some of the antigens ( proteins) in tomatoes and it may not be related to the pH of varieties. Just a possibility I'm bringing up. If you do a search here at GW I know you'll come up with other threads where allergies to tomatoes has been discussed.

Carolyn

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 8:24AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Thanks for the responses. The chart came up well on your link Missing. I'll check out the German varieties for this area and will look at the allergies. I wonder too if I am using too much salt...darn it, I love tomato sandwiches so I'll have to experiment. Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Tomatoes from my trip to Sicily
I went back this summer to my birthplace, Sicily and...
sicilianu
How soon would you fertilize after grafting tomatoes?
I grafted on Saturday February 21st. The tomatoes are...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™