stupid human - weed seeds in germination mix

mr_yanMarch 25, 2013

Well I did it. I mixed a bag of seed starting mix with sifted compost from my worm bin and I have unknown seeds popping up all over.

For things like peas, beets, spinach, and broccoli I have no problem as most of the weeds look like peppers or tomatoes. On the other hand for the 32 peppers and ground cherries I'm at a loss.

I moved the soil up to the warm area I have my seeds starting in hopes that the un-wanteds germinate before I start the next round.
Any other suggestions before I start my tomatoes next weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Niivek

Ha! I think that's in the bible. Jesus said just let the weeds grow and burn em at harvest time.
Sorry no offense meant to Christians or Athiests.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 1:30PM
equinoxequinox

Your experience is at least a good heads up for us. I think I had a mouse that handled all the pumpkin seeds for me.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 2:02AM
mr_yan

I generally have seeds sprout in the bins and they get killed and composted in there but it must not have been warm enough for the peppers and or tomatoes.

I wonder what microwaving will do to the viability of the seeds? Certainly I won't microwave my VC but the balls of bell pepper seeds wound be easy to do.

Thinking about my kitchen scraps - where else would you read that line in seriousness - the only real seeds that we scrap are peppers. There are points where melon seeds are in there and I wouldn't have trouble with apples, strawberries, citrus, pears, and stone fruit messing up my generations-saved peppers.

Pumpkin seeds get coated in olive oil and salt or chili powder and roasted at 350 until they make crackling noises in this house.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:19PM
jadeite(6/7)

I put all kinds of vegetable and fruit seeds in the worm bins. Some of them sprout, but given that the bin is dark, nothing gets very far. After a while, it's all eaten by the worms. When I screen the VC, I don't see many seeds.

Cheryl

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™