Anaerobic castings at bottom of bin? How to "dispose" of them?

KendraSchmidtMarch 20, 2013

I just finished cleaning out one of my worm bins. At the bottom of the bin, there was a clump of stinky, wet casting. The two top tiers of the bin were fine but as usual, it's the bottom that gets totally wet. And for some reason, the worms seem to like it there (no idea what that's about!).

I now have a big jug of that stinky stuff from the bottom which I'm assuming is anaerobic casting/matter. My question is, what do I do with it now? Do I just pour it outside into the soil? Can it kill any plants I have outside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
11otis

I usually spread that matter on 2 layers of burlap on top a working bin. The liquid seeped slowly into the bedding below, the worms moved down too. Fluffed it like 2x/day and after several days the wet muck became a managable VC.
BTW, how wet is your "stuff". Flowing wet? When you "pour" it onto the burlap, you could wait until it stop dripping, then put that on top of the working bin to prevent flooding it.
Hope this works for you.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 9:04PM
KendraSchmidt

It's not flowing wet, but it is like a thick mud. I was wondering if I could just pour it into an outdoor compost bin, but something tells me that's a bad idea. :(

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 11:11AM
11otis

You could do that if you like and you do not mind "losing" the worms to your compost bin. I don't think anything can go wrong with an outdoor compost bin. It will fix itself except dryness.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
I'm like my worms
Someone just mixed up my bin. I like change about as...
charitycomposter
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™